Residents evacuated from flats after fire breaks out in Exmouth fish and chip shop

Residents were evacuated from flats while firefighters tackled an early-hours waste bin blaze that broke out in an Exmouth fish and chip shop.

The fire service said crews were called to Capel’s, in Imperial Road, at 4.10am on Wednesday morning (June 2) after receiving a report of smoke coming from the ground floor of the building.

Firefighters said the blaze was accidental, with the damage confined to a waste bin in the kitchen area.

Residents living in flats above the fish and chip shop were evacuated.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “Two fire engines from Exmouth and one from Clyst St George, as well as an aerial ladder platform from Danes Castle, were all sent to a report of smoke issuing from a fish and chip shop, with flats above.

“On arrival crews confirmed that smoke was issuing from the ground floor and all people had been evacuated from the flats above.

“Crews established that the fire was in a waste bin in the kitchen area and extinguished it using two breathing apparatus and one hose reel jet.

“Damage was confined to the bin and its contents.

“The cause was accidental.”

Seriously-injured man alone on boat is rescued by Exmouth RNLIEDN ad

About Author