A pair of ‘large’ bonfires in the open in Branscombe had to be extinguished by crews from Sidmouth this afternoon (Saturday, May 30).
They were called into action following reports of a blaze at around 1.45pm.
Initially one crew from Sidmouth attended, but called for back-up as extra water was required.
They tackled the flames to stop them from spreading.
A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “One fire engine from Sidmouth was mobilised to a fire in the open in Branscombe this afternoon.
“On arrival the crews requested a further fire engine from Sidmouth to attend for additional water.
“Fire crews confirmed there were two large bonfires which were extinguished using low-pressure hose-reels to prevent escalation of the fire.”
East Devon firefighters had previously tackled a fire in the open between Seaton and Beer on Wednesday evening (May 27).
Crews from Sidmouth and Seaton used a hose-reel jet and a compressed air foam system to bring that blaze under control.
While that incident was taking place, crews from Colyton and Axminster attended a property in Seaton when an automatic fire alarm sounded.
The fire service has issued the following information about fires in open:
- Do not take disposable barbecues into the countryside or onto the beach. A large number of wildfires have been caused by disposable barbecues that have been left behind once someone has finished with them;
- Never throw cigarette ends out of a car window – they could start a fire and ruin surrounding countryside;
- Don’t leave bottles or glass in woodlands. Sunlight shining through glass can start a fire. Take them home or put them in a waste or recycling bin.
If you discover a fire:
- Do not be tempted to investigate;
- Leave the area as quickly as possible and call 999 and ask for the fire and rescue service;
- Do not return unless the fire and rescue service tells you that it is safe to do so.