Firefighters force way into Sidmouth flat to find pan blaze and elderly occupant out

Firefighters had to force their way into a Sidmouth flat after smoke was seen coming from the property and concern expressed for its elderly occupant.

Crews were tasked to Manor Road at around 10.40am today (Sunday, March 22) when a neighbour dialled 999.

They and quickly tackled a small blaze caused by a pan being left on a cooker. Nobody was home at the property.

Three appliances were initially mobilised following a call from a neighbour reporting smoke issuing from a flat, where it was believed the elderly occupant was home and unable to evacuate…

Safety advice was given to the resident, who arrived back while firefighters were still there.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “Three appliances from Sidmouth, Ottery St Mary and Exmouth were initially mobilised following a call from a neighbour reporting smoke issuing from a flat, where it was believed the elderly occupant was home and unable to evacuate.

“However, within minutes of the crew from Sidmouth arriving and investigating, they were able to confirm that, whilst there was a small fire caused by an unattended pan left on the cooker, the occupant was not home.

“As a result, ours crews from Ottery St Mary and Exmouth were returned en-route as their services were not required.

“Forced entry was made to the flat to isolate the pan and extinguish the fire, before firefighters made the scene safe and ventilated the property.

“The occupant arrived home whereby duty of care was left with them, but not before some fire safety advice was given.

“The fire and damage was confined to the pan and cooker only and there were no casualties. The incident was under control at 11.31am.”

PHOTOS: Bomb disposal experts say there is no cause for concern over Jacob’s Ladder mystery canisters in Sidmouth

About Author