Casualty taken to hospital after kitchen blaze at Honiton home

A casualty was taken to hospital for smoke inhalation after a kitchen blaze at a home in Honiton on Friday evening (October 30).

Fire crews from Honiton, Ottery St Mary and Sidmouth and were called to Roundball Close shortly after 6.30pm, where they found smoke and flames coming from a property.

The firefighters quickly put out the blaze in the ground floor kitchen and a casualty was taken to hospital as a precaution against smoke inhalation.

The fire service said the cause of the blaze was accidental.

The ground floor of the property suffered near-total smoke damage and partial fire damage to the ground and first floors of the home.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “A call was received at fire control reporting a possible fire, so immediately mobilised three fire engines from Honiton, Ottery St Mary and Sidmouth.

“On arrival of the crews they confirmed smoke and flames were issuing from the property and they set to work using two sets of breathing apparatus, one hose reel jet, one safety jet, a thermal imaging camera and positive pressure ventilation.

“Crews were able to quickly extinguish the fire which was in the ground floor kitchen, however the ground floor of the property was ten per cent damaged by fire, and ninety per cent damaged by smoke. The first floor was ten per cent damaged by smoke.

“The cause of the fire was accidental and casualty was taken to hospital as a precautionary measure for smoke inhalation.”

SUPPORT OUR JOURNALISM

Please consider helping EastDevonNews.co.uk give you more community news, views and coverage. Click the button below to make a contribution or read more about our work here

About Author