Axminster firefighters tackling night-time chimney blaze urge regular sweeping

A night-time chimney blaze at a property in Axminster on Saturday (December 4) was put out by the town’s firefighters.

The crews were called to a home in Churchill at around 11pm where they used thermal imaging equipment in a bid to locate the fire in a chimney breast.

They used specialist chimney gear to tackle the blaze, and buckets of water to douse flames.

Axminster fire crews have spoken of the importance of regular chimney sweeping by a professional for homes burning wood, coal, or using oil, gas or smokeless fuel fires or stoves.

An Axminster fire station spokesperson said: “Our crews were called to reports of a chimney fire at a property in Churchill.

“Once on scene crews investigated the chimney breast using a thermal imaging camera to locate where the fire was seated.

“Crews confirmed there was a fire within the chimney and got to work using chimney gear and chimney rods to extinguish the fire.

“Crews successfully extinguished the fire using chimney gear and two buckets of water delivered via a stirrup pump to the top of the chimney rods.

The spokesperson added: “We advise you get your chimney cleaned regularly and have it swept by a professional chimney sweep.”

Aldi announces ambition to open new stores in Exmouth, Sidmouth, Seaton, Axminster and Exeter

About Author