Bedroom blaze in Exeter is caused by ‘items’ left on top of lamp, firefighters say

Firefighters from Exeter are warning against putting anything on top of switched-on electric lamps after a bedroom blaze in the St Thomas area of the city.

Crews from Middlemoor and Danes Castle fire stations were at around 9.30pm on Saturday evening (November 27) called to reports of a house fire and found smoke coming from a first-floor bedroom.

Firefighters said the blaze was caused by overheating when something was left on top of a switched-on lamp.

No one was injured and the fire was contained to the bedroom, fire crews said.

A Danes Castle fire station spokesperson said: “We were mobilised along with a crew from Middlemoor Fire Station to reports of a house fire in St Thomas, Exeter.

“We arrived seven minutes from the time of call and found smoke issuing from a first-floor bedroom.

“We quickly extinguished the fire using a hose reel and breathing apparatus.

“No injuries occurred and minor damage was limited to the bedroom.

“The fire was caused by items left on top of a lamp, which overheated when switched on.”

Missing Exeter man, 39, found ‘safe and well’ by police

About Author