Firefighters give man first aid after chip pan accidentally catches fire in Seaton flat

Firefighters gave first aid to a man after a chip pan accidentally caught fire in a flat in Seaton on Sunday afternoon (September 26).

Crews from Axminster, Seaton, Sidmouth and Lyme Regis were called at around 4.30pm to tackle a blaze in a kitchen of a second-floor flat.

The occupant was unable to re-enter the property because the blaze caused extensive fire damage to the kitchen and left the rest of the property affected by smoke.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service (DSFRS) spokesperson said: “This was a fire in the kitchen of a second-floor flat, of a three-storey property, involving a chip pan that accidentally caught fire.

“Fire crews rendered first aid to a male casualty who was left in the hands of ambulance paramedics, and extinguished the fire which caused 80 per cent damage to the kitchen, with the remainder of the property sustaining 100 per cent smoke damage.”

Firefighters wore breathing apparatus and used hose reel and covering jets to tackle the blaze in the three-storey property.

Other residents living in the building evacuated the property, the fire service said.

The fire service spokesperson said the blaze was brought under control at 6.30pm.

The DSFRS spokesperson said: “In total crews used four breathing apparatus, two hose reel jets, one covering jet a 105 ladder and small tools, before using thermal imaging cameras to check for hotspots and positive pressure ventilation to clear the property of smoke.

“There were no further casualties but the British Red Cross Emergency Response volunteers assisted the fire service by offering post incident support and advice to the occupant who was unable to re-enter their home due to the fire damage.”

 

Tesco in Seaton seeks permission for deliveries to take place from 5amEDN ad

About Author