PHOTOS: East Devon fire crews warn ‘unplug electrical equipment overnight’ after reclining sofa blaze at Colyton

These photos of a burnt-out sofa at Colyton have been released by East Devon firefighters in a bid to highlight the dangers of leaving electrical equipment plugged in overnight.

The Colyton fire crew has issued a safety message after it was called to an address in the town last month when a family was woken by smoke alarms because their electric reclining sofa was on fire.

Firefighters said the blaze was the result of damage to an electric wire under the foot of the sofa, sparking it to catch alight.

Crews praised the family living at the address, for immediately leaving the property when the smoke alarms sounded.

East Devon

The Colyton crew has issued a fire safety message after it was called to an address in the town last month when a family was woken by smoke alarms because their electric reclining sofa was on fire.
Photo: Colyton Fire Station.

East Devon

Firefighters said the blaze was the result of damage to an electric wire under the foot of the sofa, sparking it to catch alight.
Photo: Colyton Fire Station.

A Colyton Fire Station spokesperson said: “We often give out fire safety advice recommending people to switch things off at the plug before going to bed. Would you really think to switch off your electric reclining sofa?

“This fire was caused by the electric wire slowly, over time, being damaged under the foot of the sofa, eventually causing the sofa to catch fire.

“The family were woken by their smoke alarms and did the right thing and all got out of the house immediately, calling 999 when out.”

Firefighters from Colyton and Seaton wore breathing apparatus and used thermal imaging equipment to put out the flames, and a ventilation fan to clear smoke from the property.

“The fire was quickly got under control by two breathing apparatus wearers using a hose reel jet and thermal imaging camera,” the Colyton fire station spokesperson said.

“The smoke was then cleared from the property using a positive pressure ventilation fan.”

The fire service promotes weekly testing of smoke alarms in the home, and turning off and unplugging electrical equipment when not in use.

For a free fire service home safety visit, see here.

EDN ad

East Devon MP launches website to help district’s pubs ‘survive and thrive’

About Author