Family flee early-hours sofa blaze in Colyton home

A family fled a sofa blaze in their Colyton home as firefighters tackled the flames early this morning (Sunday, July 18).

An adults, two children and their pets evacuated the property in Mount View when the fire started in its lounge at around 5.50am.

Crews from the East Devon village and Colyton were called to the scene.

The home suffered 70 per cent smoke damage as a result of the incident.

Crews were on scene within minutes and soon located the fire in the ground-floor lounge area involving a sofa…

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “Two fire appliances from Colyton and Seaton were mobilised to a two-storey semi-detached property at Mount View, Colyton, after receiving a call from the occupant saying their smoke alarms were activating and the family were in the process of evacuating.

“Crews were on scene within minutes and soon located the fire in the ground-floor lounge area involving a sofa.

“The fire was soon under control and confirmed to be extinguished using two breathing apparatus and one hose-reel jet, before using a thermal imaging to check for hotspots and a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the property of smoke.

“This incident is now complete and was brought under control at 6.29am.

“The fire, which started accidentally, caused 70 per cent smoke damage to the property with the sofa sustaining 50 per cent heat and smoke damage.”

“One adult, two children and their pets were all able to evacuate safely and uninjured, prior to our arrival.”

Kitchen smoke damaged after cooker hood blaze in Colyton

About Author