Family’s ‘lucky escape’ from chip pan blaze in Exeter home after neighbour raises alarm

Firefighters say an Exeter family had a ‘lucky escape’ from a chip pan blaze at their home after a neighbour raised the alarm.

Crews from Danes Castle were called to the house in Barley Mount at around 7pm on Tuesday, June 22, after smoke was seen coming from the property.

The accidental fire in the kitchen – which involved a pan, cooker and cooker hood – was swiftly extinguished.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “A family had a lucky escape after a neighbour saw smoke issuing from the ground-floor of a two-storey house and not only raised the alarm, enabling them to safely evacuate, but put the call into the fire service.

“Two fire appliances from Danes Castle, Exeter, were mobilised at the time of call.

“Crews were on scene within minutes of the call and confirmed smoke was issuing on arrival.

“They were soon inside and located the fire in the ground-floor kitchen involving a chip pan, cooker, and cooker hood.

“The fire, which started accidentally, was extinguished by crew using two breathing apparatus and one hose-reel jet, followed by a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the property of smoke and a thermal imaging camera to check for hotspots.

“Once the scene was made safe, crews left duty of care with the occupants who were all safe and well.”

Residents back vision for ‘wild arboretum’ at closed Exeter golf course

About Author