Fire breaks out in false ceiling in student flats in Exeter

Fire crews called to student flats in Exeter on Monday afternoon (June 7) found a smoke-logged building and blaze in a false ceiling.

Crews were called to St German’s Road, near Pennsylvania Road, shortly after 3pm where they used jets to put out the flames, a fan to clear smoke from the building and a thermal imaging camera to check for fire spread.

The fire was in a false ceiling.
Photo: Danes Castle Fire Station.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “A fire engine and aerial ladder platform from Danes Castle along with two fire engines from Middlemoor attended reports of a fire in the false ceiling within student accommodation.

“Crews used four breathing apparatus, one hose reel jet and one safety jet to extinguish the fire.

“They then used a positive pressure fan to clear the smoke as the building was heavily smoke-logged, along with a thermal image camera to check for hotspots.”

EDN ad

Police issue warning after ‘builders’ calling at home in Exeter steal cash in distraction burglary

About Author