Thug is jailed for vicious attack on man at Exeter railway station

A thug who admitted a vicious attack on a man at an Exeter station, breaking his leg, has been jailed.

Benjamin Yeo, aged 28, of Kendall Close, in the St James area the city, was jailed for 19 months after pleading guilty to causing grievous bodily harm at Exeter St Thomas railway station on December 4, 2020.

Steffan Brooks, aged 28, and of Glass House Lane, Countess Wear, was handed a three-month prison sentence, suspended for two years, after pleading guilty to common assault.

Exeter Crown Court heard how Yeo approached the victim and began punching and kicking him, chased him down a stairwell, jumped down onto the man’s leg then continued attacking him as he lay on the stairs.

As the victim lay on the ground unable to move, Brooks arrived and punched him repeatedly.

British Transport Police Detective Constable Dean Jeffery said: “This was a particularly nasty assault in which the victim suffered serious injuries.

“Yeo and Brooks carried out the sustained attack with the intention of causing severe harm to the young man as he helplessly lay in the stairwell.

“I want to express my gratitude to the witnesses who bravely stepped in to challenge Yeo and Brooks, promptly dialled 999 and stuck with the victim until paramedics arrived.

“I am pleased that justice has been served, and a custodial sentence resulted from what was a very violent incident.”

The court heard how a group of men, including the victim, Brooks and Yeo, were seen going into Exeter St Thomas railway station on May 28, 2020.

While they were on the platform Yeo approached the victim and started to punch and kick him.

The man tried to escape and Yeo grabbed his coat and threw it onto the train tracks.

As the victim ran for the station exit, he was chased by Yeo, who jumped feet-first down a stairwell.

He landed on the victim’s legs, who was halfway down the stairs.

Brooks arrived and started punching the victim as he lay on the ground.

The victim was left with a broken leg as a result of being jumped on by Yeo.

The attack was interrupted by a woman passer-by who went into the station after hearing screams coming from inside, and shouted ‘I am calling the police’.

Yeo and Brooks threw several more punches then ran from the station, where they were captured on CCTV fleeing the scene.

Following police enquiries, the pair were arrested and taken into custody for questioning.

Electric vehicle charging points to be installed in eight parts of Exeter in April


About Author