Honiton: Elderly woman ‘safe and out of danger’ after bin blaze spreads to kitchen

An elderly woman in Honiton was offered temporary housing after a under-sink bin blaze spread to the rest of the kitchen.

Fire crews from Honiton, Ottery St Mary and Sidmouth were called to Hornbeam Close shortly before 11.30am on Monday (March 15), where they found a fire on the ground floor of the property.

The blaze, which started accidentally in a bin under the sink and spread to the kitchen units, severely damaged the room and the downstairs of the property.

When the East Devon fire crews arrived, they found the elderly woman safe and out of danger.

Crews wore breathing apparatus, jets and a thermal imaging camera, while tackling the blaze.

The Red Cross Emergency Response Team helped the elderly woman with temporary housing.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service (DSFRS) spokesperson said: “One fire appliance from Honiton, one from Ottery St Mary and one from Sidmouth attended a fire within a domestic property involving the ground floor.

“One elderly female occupant was safe and out of danger.

“Crews put the fire out using two breathing apparatus, one hose reel jet, one safety jet and a thermal imaging camera.

“The fire involved the ground floor kitchen, starting in a waste bin under the sink and spreading to the units and appliances.

“The kitchen and ground floor was severely damaged by fire and smoke.

“The Red Cross Emergency Response Team attended to assist the female with temporary rehousing.

“The fire was caused accidentally.”

EDN ad

Honiton Charter Day 2021 gets green light as ‘hopeful’ organisers plan for summer celebrations

About Author