The Royal Navy Bomb Squad was called to East Devon to destroy a World War Two hand grenade found by a member of public on Woodbury Common on Monday evening (February 22).
The bomb disposal team, Southern Diving Unit 1 (SDU1) from HMNB Devonport, were called out to the Frying Pans car park area of the common at around 6pm, alerted by Devon and Cornwall Police who set up a 50-metre cordon.
The standard issue WW2 Mills Bomb hand grenade was taken away at around 10pm and destroyed by the bomb disposal team, who carried out a controlled explosion on Tuesday morning (February 23) in a certified quarry close to Devonport.
The Royal Navy (RN) bomb disposal team thanked the member of the public for their vigilance and urged anyone spotting something suspicious to get in touch with the police.
A RN spokesman said: “The Royal Navy bomb disposal team, Southern Diving Unit 1 (SDU1) from HMNB Devonport were called out to Woodbury Common near Exeter, on Monday evening to a Devon and Cornwall Police incident.
“They met up with the police who handed over a standard issue WW2 Mills Bomb hand grenade.
The grenade had been discovered on Woodbury Common by a member of the public, who alerted to police, who subsequently alerted the RN Bomb Disposal team from Devonport.
“SDU1 took the grenade away with them and returned to Devonport, where this morning they carried out a controlled explosion in a certified quarry close to Devonport, and destroyed the grenade.”
The RN spokesman added: “The RN Bomb Disposal team would like to thank the public for their vigilance and awareness of the dangers involved with historical ordnance.
“They would also like to reinforce the point that if anyone should find anything that looks suspicious, they should get in touch with the police, who will alert the Bomb Disposal Unit.”
A Devon and Cornwall Police spokeswoman said: “Police received a report that a suspected Second World War ordnance device had been found by a member of the public near Frying Pans car park on Woodbury Common at around 6pm yesterday evening, Monday 22 February.
“A 50-metre cordon was erected as a precaution.
“A Royal Navy Explosive Ordnance Demolition team attended and removed the object at around 10pm.”