Washing machine blaze in Exeter leaves city centre kitchen with smoke and fire damage

Firefighters forced entry to flat in Exeter city centre on Monday night (January 18) to reach a washing machine blaze.

Crews from Danes Castle and Middlemoor fire stations were called to the property in Southgate shortly before 10pm, after an alarm was heard sounding from the second floor flat.

The blaze left the kitchen and flat with smoke and fire damage.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service (DSFRS) spokesperson said: “The kitchen was twenty-five per cent damaged by fire, one hundred per cent by smoke and the remainder of the flat was twenty-five percent damaged by smoke.

“Crews used four breathing apparatus, one jet and a positive pressure ventilation fan to extinguish the fire.”

A crew from Danes Castle, in Exeter, was sent to the report of an alarm sounding at the city centre property at 9.49pm.

The crew confirmed a fire in the second floor flat and requested two further fire engines, which were sent from Middlemoor and Danes Castle stations.

Shortly after 10pm the aerial ladder platform was requested from Danes Castle fire station.

At 10.20pm firefighters wearing breathing apparatus forced entry to the second floor flat within the four-storey building and tackled the blaze and smoke using a jet and ventilation fans.

The DSFRS spokesperson said: “The fire was in the second-floor flat kitchen within a washing machine.”

 

EDN ad

About Author