Fire crews break door down to save man trapped in burning flat in Exeter on Christmas Day

A man trapped in his burning flat in Exeter on Christmas Day was given blaze survival advice over the phone until fire crews arrived and broke down the door.

Firefighters from Danes Castle and Middlemoor fire stations were called to Haven Close, near Exeter Quay, shortly before 10pm on December 25, after the man called 999 saying he was trapped in his burning home.

A fire control operator stayed on the phone and spoke to the man until the fire crews arrived.

He was led to safety after crews broke down the front door.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service (DSFRS) spokesperson said the fire was in the ground floor kitchen: “Fire control received a 999 call from a gentleman who was reporting a fire in his flat and was unable to get out.

“The control operator gave fire survival guidance advice until the crews got in attendance.

“Two crews from Danes Castle and one from Middlemoor were all sent.

“Fire Control were still on the phone when they could hear the crews breaking down the door and led the occupant to safety.”

The DSFRS spokesperson added: “This fire was in the ground floor kitchen and involved textiles.”

Crews wore breathing apparatus while tackling the blaze.

The police and ambulance service also attended, the fire service said.

EDN ad

Man with arm trapped in electric bed is freed by Exeter firefighters

About Author