Elderly man taken to hospital with smoke inhalation after house blaze in Exeter

An elderly man suffering from smoke inhalation was taken to hospital after a sitting room blaze in Exeter on Tuesday afternoon (December 8).

Fire crews received reports at 1.30pm that someone was inside a two-storey house on fire near Countess Wear.

The fire service was alerted by neighbours who heard smoke alarms sounding at the old man’s Southbrook Road home.

The blaze completely destroyed the sitting room and left the rest of the property with smoke damage.

A Danes Castle Fire Station spokesperson said: “Middlemoor crews arrived first in just under six minutes to find flames and smoke issuing from the property.

“A man presented himself to crews who had very obviously been subjected to smoke inhalation.

“The incident commander requested further resources which came from Clyst St George.

“Danes Castle crews arrived shortly after and assisted in attacking the fire, using four breathing apparatus and two hose reel jets.

“The male casualty was given first aid by crews and taken to hospital by the ambulance service.

“The property was severely damaged by fire.”

The spokesperson added: “The call was raised when the next-door neighbour heard the smoke detectors sounding.

“The fire service had previously installed these smoke detectors in this home.”

Middlemoor, Danes Castle and Topsham firefighters sent to tackle the blaze found the sitting room on fire at the rear of the property.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service (DSFRS) spokesperson said crews used four breathing apparatus, two hose reel jets, one safety jet, small tools, several thermal imaging cameras, a gas monitor, a 105-ladder and a positive pressure ventilation fan to extinguish the fire.

The DSFRS spokesperson said: “On arrival crews discovered smoke issuing and made pumps four for manpower. A further pump from Topsham was mobilised.

“The fire was in a rear sitting room of the two-storey property.”

They added: “One elderly male was treated by fire service with first aid at scene then removed to hospital via land ambulance.”

There was 100 per cent fire damage to the sitting room and 80 per cent smoke damage to the rest of the property, the fire service said.

The fire service is urging people to check their smoke alarms and is offering advice to anyone without a working detector on each level of the home. Call 0800 05 02 999.

The service also offers free home fire safety checks service and may be able to install alarms free of change.

EDN ad

Zero to hero! – Retailer in Exeter and Topsham is runner-up in UK’s best small shop competition

 

About Author