Log burner sparks chimney blaze in Woodbury home

Firefighters from Exeter and Exmouth were called to a house in Woodbury this evening when a wood-burning stove sparked a chimney blaze.

A resident in the Globe Hill property raised the alarm at around 6.45pm.

An appliance from Middlemoor was called to the scene and subsequently called for help from a crew in Exmouth.

Firefighters tackled the blaze from the roof and removed the log burner. They were at the scene for more than an hour.

Crews used one hose-reel jet, a triple extension ladder, roof ladder, safety at heights equipment and a thermal imaging camera…

Crews tackle the chimney fire in Woodbury. Picture: Exmouth Fire Station

Crews tackle the chimney fire in Woodbury. Picture: Exmouth Fire Station

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “One fire appliance from Middlemoor attended a property in Woodbury after a call from the occupant stating the log burner had started a chimney fire.

“On arrival, the crews confirmed there was a fire involving the wood-burning stove and got to work with chimney gear and a carbon monoxide monitor.

“At 7.14pm Middlemoor requested a second pump which came from Exmouth.

“Crews continued fighting the fire from the roof using chimney rods and the wood-burner was removed.

“Crews used one hose-reel jet, a triple extension ladder, roof ladder, safety at heights equipment and a thermal imaging camera.

“At 7.53pm fire crews were happy the fire was out and left the scene after making up equipment.”

Crews tackle the chimney fire in Woodbury. Picture: Exmouth Fire Station

Crews tackle the chimney fire in Woodbury. Picture: Exmouth Fire Station

A spokesperson for Exmouth Fire Station added tonight: “Now is the time to get your chimney swept if you haven’t already.

“Crews have just returned from assisting our colleagues from Middlemoor Fire Station.

“Ladders, safety at height equipment, chimney gear, a thermal imaging camera and a hose reel were used at the incident.
“The fire was extinguished from the roof and a log burner was removed from the property.”
Chimney fire safety advice is available here.
SUPPORT OUR JOURNALISM

Please consider helping EastDevonNews.co.uk give you more community news, views and coverage. Click the button below to make a contribution or read more about our work here

Suspicious activity and vans without number plates in Woodbury sparks police warning for vigilance

About Author