Exmouth Town FC up to fourth in Toolstation Western League Premier Division table after Wellington win

A comfortable 2-0 win over Wellington has seen Exmouth Town Football Club climb to fourth in the Toolstation Western League Premier Division, writes John Dibsdall.

Town dominated proceedings in the first-half with the visitors having only one meaningful shot that brought a smart save from Robbie Powell.

And while the rebound was hammered home, the assistant’s flag had been raised for offside.

After tentative sparring in the opening minutes, a strong Jordan Harris header brought a flying save from the visiting glovesman before Exmouth went ahead on 14 minutes.

Receiving the ball on the left-hand touchline, Ben Steer went past his marker cut inside to beat another couple of players before rifling the ball into the roof of the net.

There was then a string of chances that left the 231-strong crowd wondering at half-time how Town had only the slenderest of leads.

Any thoughts that Wellington had of a comeback were dispelled within seconds of the restart.

An Aarron Denny cross from the right was only half-cleared and Steer was on hand to smash home the loose ball.

With the crowd willing Steer to complete his hat-trick, he had shots and a rare header saved as he was repeatedly foiled by the ‘keeper.

Wellington had their share of possession but lacked a cutting edge and Powell was virtually a second-half spectator.

While Steer deservedly took the plaudits and the Man of the Match award, spare a thought for the right side of the Wellington defence.

If they were not being tormented by Steer, they also had to deal with strong and direct runs from Alfie Mahon and on this form in any normal season it would not be long before he opened his goals account.

Town’s trip to Tavistock last Wednesday was always going to be a tough ask with their Devon rivals still smarting from the 4-1 defeat in the reverse fixture.

Exmouth’s hat-trick hero that day, Jordan Harris, was forced to sit out the game through suspension and Town were also without Tom Gardner and Alfie Mahon through work commitments.

They opened the scoring on 12 minutes with an excellent strike from Ben Steer and after Robbie Powell had made several good saves he was finally beaten by a deflected shot.

Tavvy went ahead early in the second half and Town’s cause wasn’t helped when David Rowe received a straight red card.

Shortly after the home side made it three but Town did not give up and were rewarded when Ace High scored with 15 minutes remaining to set up an interesting finish, but Town could not create that one clear chance to earn a draw.

[asp_product id=”17531″]

Exmouth Town FC U15s net nine goals in victory over Copplestone, while U12s are 4-0 winners at Whipton

About Author