Ottery and Honiton firefighters tackle chimney blaze in Upottery

Crews from Ottery St Mary and Honiton tackled a blaze in an Upottery holiday home after a chimney caught fire and the flames spread. 

Firefighters were called to New Road, Upottery, on Thursday (October 15) shortly after 8pm after reports of a chimney fire.

The fire service said the blaze involved a wood burning stove in a timber-framed holiday let, that spread to the roof void.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service (DSFRS) spokesperson said: “Crews from Honiton and Ottery St Mary were sent to reports of a chimney fire.

“The fire was involving a wood burning stove in the timber framed holiday let. The fire had spread to the roof void.

“Crews used two hose reel jets, one thermal imaging camera and small tools to extinguish the fire.

“The roof was ten per cent damaged by the fire.”

SUPPORT OUR JOURNALISM

Please consider helping EastDevonNews.co.uk give you more community news, views and coverage. Click the button below to make a contribution or read more about our work here

Ottery dad runs 100 miles to thank hospital for saving his newborn son’s life

About Author