Fire crews tackle lunchtime kitchen blaze at home near Exeter city centre

Firefighters wore breathing apparatus to tackle a kitchen blaze at a home near Exeter city centre on Tuesday lunchtime (August 25).

Crews from Middlemoor and Danes Castle fire stations, in Exeter, were called to Grosvenor Place, near Belmont Park, shortly before 1.30pm where they found smoke coming from a property.

The cause of the blaze, which left the kitchen at the property 20 per cent fire damaged and 50 per cent destroyed by smoke, was thought to be accidental.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “Fire engines from Danes Castle and Middlemoor were mobilised to a domestic fire at a property in Exeter this afternoon.

“On arrival crews confirmed that there was smoke issuing from the property and committed firefighters in breathing apparatus.

“Fire crews used two breathing apparatus, one hose reel jet, one covering jet, one safety jet, small tool, a thermal image camera and positive pressure ventilation to extinguish the fire.

“The kitchen of the property was twenty per cent damaged by fire and fifty per cent damaged by smoke.

“All persons were accounted for and the cause is understood to be accidental.”

SUPPORT OUR JOURNALISM

Please consider helping EastDevonNews.co.uk give you more community news, views and coverage. Click the button below to make a contribution or read more about our work here

About Author