Casualty taken to hospital with smoke inhalation after chip pan catches fire in Ottery

A casualty was taken to hospital suffering with smoke inhalation after a chip pan caught fire in a kitchen in Ottery St Mary.

Fire crews from Ottery, Honiton and Middlemoor, in Exeter, were on Sunday (August 23) called to Mill Street at around 8pm, after receiving a call a smoke alarm was sounding at a two-storey terraced house.

Firefighters rescued a casualty from inside the property, who was taken to hospital by ambulance after suffering minor smoke inhalation.

When crews arrived, they found a fire in the kitchen and used jets to put out the flames, a ventilation fan to clear smoke from the property, and thermal imaging technology.

The fire service said 20 per cent of the property was fire damaged.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “Fire control received a call reporting a smoke alarm sounding in a property.

“Fire engines from Ottery St Mary, Honiton and Middlemoor were quickly mobilised and soon arrived on scene.

“Fire crews confirmed one casualty still within the property.

“Fire crews wearing breathing apparatus entered the property and rescued the casualty.”

They added: “The casualty was taken to hospital by the ambulance service suffering with very minor smoke inhalation.

“The fire was caused by a chip pan within the kitchen.”

SUPPORT OUR JOURNALISM

Please consider helping EastDevonNews.co.uk give you more community news, views and coverage. Click the button below to make a contribution or read more about our work here

Ottery pie makers strike Chunk of gold to celebrate five-time regional award success

About Author