Exmouth RNLI’s November 5 fireworks spectacular has been cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic – dealing a fundraising blow to the lifesaving charity.
Organisers have made the ‘difficult decision’ to pull the plug on this year’s fun due to restrictions on large outdoor gatherings.
The event was due to take place at the town’s rugby club and recreation ground.
Last year’s event – the first to be organised by Exmouth RNLI – raised £12,834 for the popular cause.
Its chairman Louise Hockings-Thompson said: “With the ongoing coronavirus pandemic and imposed restrictions on large outdoor gatherings we are, regrettably, unable to safely host the 2020 event.
“We have to put the safety of the public, our supporters and volunteers to the fore and, whilst it is very sad news that we won’t be hosting the RNLI firework display this year, we are even more determined to return with a bigger and better experience in 2021.
“We look forward to our loyal supporters and members of the local community joining us for that celebration.”
The RNLI says Covid-19 restrictions have had ‘a huge impact’ on fundraising both nationally and locally.
“With all of our regular annual fundraising events being cancelled, we are looking for additional public support now more than ever to keep our lifeboats launching, our beaches safeguarded and to carry on with our RNLI volunteers continued quest to save lives at sea,” said a spokesperson or the charity.
Direct donations to the RNLI can be made here.
Exmouth RNLI’s shop remains closed until further notice, but supporters can order online here.
Typing in ‘EXMOUTH’ as a discount code will net customers free delivery.[asp_product id=”17531″]