Teenagers praised for raising the alarm when grass fire broke out at Jacob’s Ladder

Firefighters at Sidmouth praised teenagers who raised the alarm when a grass fire broke out at Jacob’s Ladder on Tuesday night (July 21).

Sidmouth firefighters were called to the beach shortly before 11pm where they found grass had caught on fire and was smouldering.

Crews put out the fire with a horse reel jet, training water on the area from the top of the cliff.

A Sidmouth Fire Station spokesman said: “The group of teenagers who called us did exactly the right thing in calling 999 as soon as they realised what was happening.”

He added: “On arrival we found an area of grass had been burning and was now smouldering.

“One hose reel jet was used from the top of the cliff to extinguish the fire.”

After the fire was put out and the area made safe, firefighters cleared away rubbish left by the public.

The spokesman urged beach-goers to take litter home, or use nearby rubbish bins.

SUPPORT OUR JOURNALISM

Please consider helping EastDevonNews.co.uk give you more community news, views and coverage. Click the button below to make a contribution or read more about our work here

GPs unveil bid to expand Sidmouth medical centre and relocate town centre surgery

About Author