Residents were evacuated and the police station cordoned off during a bomb scare in Honiton High Street earlier today (July 14).
The Royal Navy bomb squad was tasked from Plymouth after a member of the public handed in an unidentified device to the police station at around 2pm.
Bomb experts assessed the device, advised it was not explosive and removed it for safe disposal.
Devon and Cornwall Police said the device had been picked up from Seaton beach a few days earlier.
Police said a 30-metre cordon was set up as a precaution until the bomb squad arrived.
A Devon and Cornwall Police spokeswoman said: “A member of the public attended Honiton Police Station at around 2pm today with a device which had been located at Seaton beach a few days prior.
“A thirty metre cordon was put in place and a number of local residents were evacuated.
“The Royal Navy EOD team have attended and assessed the device.
“They have advised officers that it is not believed to be an explosive device and they will remove it for disposal.”[asp_product id=”17531″]