Fire crews who tackled a blaze on Woodbury Common say it was ‘fortunate’ not to spread, prompting safety warnings to be issued.
Crews from Sidmouth, Exmouth and Middlemoor fire stations tackled the blaze at Hawkerland on Monday, June 29, where a fire was reported by the roadside.
Firefighters extinguished the blaze using high pressure hose reels, and covered flames with a blanket of compressed air foam.
Crews tackling the blaze warned against taking disposable barbecues into the countryside or beach and urged people to discard of cigarettes and litter responsibly.
A Sidmouth fire station spokesman said: “The fire was located by the road side and measured approximately ten by three metres.
“The fire was extinguished using high pressure hose reels and covered with a blanket of compressed air foam.
“This was very fortunate not to spread rapidly. Luckily the position by the road and wind direction helped contain the blaze.”
The spokesman added: “Do not take disposable barbecues into the countryside or onto the beach. We’ve seen a large number of wildfires caused by disposable barbecues that have been left behind once someone has finished with them.
“Never throw cigarette ends out of a car window – they could start a fire and ruin surrounding countryside.
“Don’t leave bottles or glass in woodlands. Sunlight shining through glass can start a fire. Take them home or put them in a waste or recycling bin.”
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service urged anyone discovering a fire not to investigate, but to quickly leave the area, call 999 and do not return until crews say it is safe.
Please consider helping EastDevonNews.co.uk give you more community news, views and coverage. Click the button below to make a contribution or read more about our work here.