Firefighters called to smoke-filled Sidmouth flat find pan on hob, but no-one home

Firefighters have issued a warning after being called to a smoke-filled flat in Sidmouth where a pan was found cooking on the hob – with nobody at home. 

Both crews from the town attended the ground-floor property in Arcot Park on Wednesday, June 17, at around 7.10pm following reports of an alarm going off.

They said the the incident ‘could have very easily developed into a serious fire’.

When firefighters arrived, a neighbour told them no-one was at home in the smoke-filled property before they found a pan on the hob.

Please do not leave anything on the hob unattended, this could have very easily developed in to a serious fire…

A Sidmouth Fire Station spokesperson said: “On arrival the crew found smoke issuing from the windows and a neighbour informed the officer in charge no-one was home.

“Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the property with a hose-reel and found a pan on the hob.

“The smoke had filled every room so the officer in charge made up for a positive pressure fan.

“Our other pump was mobilised to the incident. The smoke was cleared and duty of care handed to the property owner who had returned.

“Please do not leave anything on the hob unattended, this could have very easily developed in to a serious fire.”

SUPPORT OUR JOURNALISM

Please consider helping EastDevonNews.co.uk give you more community news, views and coverage. Click the button below to make a contribution or read more about our work here

Parts of Sidmouth town centre to be pedestrianised from Monday – with temporary measures lasting three months

About Author