Plans to temporarily pedestrianise parts of Sidmouth town centre have been given the green light – with the measures to last for three months.
It means Old Fore Street, New Street, Market Place and Church Street will be closed to traffic between 11am and 5pm from next week.
Vehicles will also be barred from stopping-off on some areas of The Esplanade and Fore Street as part of the bid to boost social distancing and keep shoppers safe.
The rules, detailed in full below, will be in place from Monday, June 22, to September 30 and include provision for taxis and Blue Badge holders.
Sidmouth Town Council has worked with Devon highways chiefs on the temporary restrictions, which have been backed by the chamber of commerce.
They are aimed at making pedestrians feel safer ‘in the often-narrow streets which would otherwise be incompatible with social distancing’.
Town council chairman Councillor Ian Barlow said: “The town council wanted to show visitors and residents that Sidmouth is a safe town to visit whilst still permitting social distancing and that we are adapting to the current challenging situation.
“We have such a beautiful town and want people to know that it’s a safe to visit and shop in, too.”
David Cook, chairman of Sidmouth Chamber of Commerce, added: “Our shops and businesses are working hard to take measures to ensure that they can trade at this time.
“By allowing more space for people to freely walk and browse whilst socially distancing, the council has created a more enjoyable atmosphere for everyone whilst still allowing traffic access to the town and esplanade.
“Sidmouth is open for business.”
The exact measures, finalised by Devon County Council this week, are:
- No person shall cause or permit any vehicle to wait on the sections of affected roads.
Roads affected – Fore Street from its junction with East Street for a distance of 50m in a southerly direction.
- No person shall cause or permit any vehicle to wait except taxis on the sections of affected roads.
Roads affected – Fore Street, east side from a point 4m north of its junction with The Esplanade for a distance of 20m.
- No person shall cause or permit any vehicle to wait except blue badge holders on the sections of affected roads.
Roads affected – Fore Street, west side from a point 5m north of its junction with The Esplanade for a distance of 20m.
Disabled Blue Badge holders would be exempt for a maximum of three hours on this restriction.
- No person shall cause or permit any vehicle to proceed on the sections of affected roads except for access and permit holders between the hours of 11am and 5pm.
Roads affected – Old Fore Street.
Between 5pm and 11am the existing prohibition allowing permit holders and loading for goods vehicles will still apply.
- No person shall cause or permit any vehicle to proceed or wait on the sections of affected roads except for access between the hours of 11am to 5pm.
Roads affected – New Street, Market Place and Church Street.