Vehicle restrictions at recycling centres in East Devon and Exeter are to be eased this week – but vans will still be banned.
Cars with trailers will be allowed at tips in Exmouth, Honiton and those in the city from tomorrow (Wednesday, June 3), however, they will not be permitted in Sidmouth.
This is because the site near the Bowd has ‘limited capacity’ and they could cause congestion.
One-in, one-out and two-metre social distancing rules will still apply to protect the public and staff.
Pick-ups – except those with trailers – are now also able to use all of the 19 facilities in Devon.
From today (Tuesday, June 2) restrictions have been lifted on van-based people carriers with seats in the back.
Cyclists – including those towing trailers – will be able to use recycling centres once again.
Vans and commercial vehicles, however, currently remain excluded from all the sites.
Devon County Council (DCC) says this will be reviewed.
Staff will still not be able to assist with unloading waste and residents have been warned to expect ‘significant delays and queues’.
Councillor Andrea Davis, cabinet member for infrastructure, development and waste, said: “We have been reviewing demand at each of our sites every week and, as promised, we have been gradually easing restrictions where possible.
“Our priority is to ensure that our recycling centres are safe and do not become congested. I thank you for your patience.”
Cllr Davis last week slammed abuse of staff at the county’s reopened recycling centres as ‘appalling and totally unacceptable’.
She said: “The gate staff are there to protect staff and the public by ensuring that the ‘one-in, one-out’ policy is followed.
“A minority of the public have verbally abused our staff for doing their jobs and this kind of behaviour is appalling and totally unacceptable.
“Most of us are grateful and supportive of our key workers, so let’s be kind to our key workers, please.”