PHOTOS: Bonfires and barbecues spark blaze callouts for East Devon crews

Out-of-control bonfires and carelessly-disposed-of barbecues have sparked a flurry of callouts for the fire service, say East Devon crews.

The service is currently dealing with lots of out-of-control bonfires and fires caused by carelessly disposed of barbecues…

These photos show two such incidents in the district’s countryside the space of four days – at Branscombe today (Saturday) and between Beer and Seaton on Wednesday.

Exmouth firefighters on Friday evening, May 29,  also had to tackle two separate bin blazes caused by hot ashes setting rubbish alight.

A pair of crews from Sidmouth had to extinguish two ‘large’ bonfires in the open in Branscombe this afternoon.

One pump was initially called to Branscombe at around 1.45pm, before a second was requested to provide extra water.

East Devon Branscombe Picture: Sidmouth Fire Station

Sidmouth firefighters had to extinguish two bonfires in Branscombe on Saturday, May 30. Picture: Sidmouth Fire Station

East Devon Branscombe Picture: Sidmouth Fire Station

Picture: Sidmouth Fire Station

 Branscombe Picture: Sidmouth Fire Station

Picture: Sidmouth Fire Station

East Devon Branscombe Picture: Sidmouth Fire Station

Picture: Sidmouth Fire Station

 A Sidmouth Fire Station spokesperson said: “There was two fires set near hedges and long grass. The OIC decided the fires needed to be extinguished and not just monitored.

“The service is currently dealing with lots of out-of-control bonfires and fires caused by carelessly-disposed-of barbecues.”

Sidmouth and Seaton crews tackled another fire in the open between Seaton and Beer on Wednesday evening (May 27).

They used a hose-reel jet and a compressed air foam system to bring that blaze under control.

East Devon Beer Picture: Seaton Fire Station

Crews from Sidmouth and Seaton tacked a fire in the open on Wednesday, May 27. Picture: Seaton Fire Station

East Devon Beer Picture: Seaton Fire Station

Picture: Seaton Fire Station

Beer Picture: Seaton Fire Station

Picture: Seaton Fire Station

Exmouth

One of the disposable barbecues that caught fire in Exmouth after being thrown in the bin while still hot.
Photo: Exmouth Fire Station.

The fire service has issued the following information about fires in open:

Top tips

  • Do not take disposable barbecues into the countryside or onto the beach. A large number of wildfires have been caused by disposable barbecues that have been left behind once someone has finished with them;
  • Never throw cigarette ends out of a car window – they could start a fire and ruin surrounding countryside;
  • Don’t leave bottles or glass in woodlands. Sunlight shining through glass can start a fire. Take them home or put them in a waste or recycling bin.

If you discover a fire:

  • Do not be tempted to investigate;
  • Leave the area as quickly as possible and call 999 and ask for the fire and rescue service;
  • Do not return unless the fire and rescue service tells you that it is safe to do so.

More East Devon news: Upturned kayak and rocky situation for inflatable spark double callout for Sidmouth Lifeboat

PHOTOS: Fire service issues warning after Exmouth crew tackles two bin blazes caused by disposable barbecues

About Author