Disposable barbecue sparks garage fire in Exeter

Firefighters tackled a garage blaze in Exeter that was sparked by a disposable barbecue.

Crews from Danes Castle were called to a property in Ladysmith Road at around 6.50pm yesterday (Saturday, May 23) after a neighbour had raised the alarm.

They donned breathing apparatus and used thermal imaging kit and a hose reel jet to extinguish the flames.

The detached garage was ten per cent damaged by the fire.

The fire caused about ten per cent fire damage to the garage and also some damage to some adjacent decking…

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “We received a call from a member of the public reporting a fire in his neighbour’s garage.

“Two fire appliances from Danes Castle were immediately mobilised by fire control.

“On arrival, the incident commander confirmed that there was a fire in a detached garage involving a disposable barbecue.

“Crews quickly got to work to extinguish the fire using breathing apparatus, a hose reel jet, small tools and a thermal imaging camera.

“The fire caused about ten per cent fire damage to the garage and also some damage to some adjacent decking.”

Council buys former Flybe Training Academy at Exeter Airport in £4million bid to create education hub for high-tech jobs

About Author