Casualty suffers smoke inhalation after toaster catches fire and spreads to kitchen in Exeter

An ambulance was called to a home in Exeter on Monday evening when a casualty suffered smoke inhalation after a toaster caught fire and flames spread.

City firefighters from Danes Castle and Middlemoor were called to Walpole Close, in the Pinhoe area, at around 6pm on May 18, where they found a small fire involving a toaster had spread to kitchen units and a tumble drier.

Crews extinguished the fire, removed the toaster from the semi-detached home, cleared smoke from the property with a ventilation fan and used a thermal imaging camera to check for any remaining hot spots.

The property was left damaged by the blaze and smoke, the fire service said.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “Upon arrival, crews confirmed a small fire involving a toaster and kitchen unit.

“The crews got to work, removing the toaster from the property and used a positive pressure ventilator to clear some of the smoke caused by the fire.

“An ambulance was requested due to a casualty on scene who had suffered with smoke inhalation.”

The spokesperson added: “Fire crews confirmed that the semi-detached property obtained 30 per cent damage by fire and smoke.

“The fire had involved a toaster, kitchen units and tumble dryer within the ground floor of the two-storey property.”

Eight new confirmed coronavirus cases recorded in East Devon and Exeter in past 10 days

About Author