Exmouth Festival 2020 has been cancelled due to the coronavirus crisis.
The town council said it made the decision ‘with heavy hearts’ after following government advice.
Festivities had been due to take place from May 22-25. All artists, traders and acts will be rebooked for next year, says organisers.
We realise that a lot of people will be disappointed, but the health and wellbeing of our artists, musicians, volunteers and festival supporters is always our priority….
An Exmouth Town Council spokesperson said: “The decision has not been taken lightly but has been made in accordance with government guidelines in relation to the current outbreak of coronavirus/ COVID-19 in the UK and the need to avoid unnecessary strain on our public services such as the police and NHS.
“We realise that a lot of people will be disappointed, but the health and wellbeing of our artists, musicians, volunteers and festival supporters is always our priority.
“With less than 10 weeks to go, any additional restrictions on the movement of people, or a nationwide ban on events being enacted in the coming weeks, would also have significant financial implications for our festival.
“The team has put a great deal of time, resource and energy into organising this year’s event, but we hope you understand and respect our difficult decision to act now, thus removing uncertainty, reducing the amount of outlay by our traders, suppliers and partners and helping to secure the event in future years.”
Further information is available from Exmouth Town Council arts manager Carla Hiley by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.