Exmouth Town Concert Band calls off Budleigh performance over coronavirus concerns

Coronavirus concerns for older fans and musicians has seen Exmouth Town Concert Band call off its first performance of 2020.

The group had been due to stage its Spring Concert at St Peter’s Church in Budleigh Salterton on Wednesday, March 25.

However, it says the event has been postponed indefinitely due to the ‘uncertain climate in the UK’.

A spokesperson for the band said it had followers ‘in the older age bracket’ especially in mind in making the decision.

They added: “Exmouth Town Concert Band take the health and welfare of our band and audience members extremely seriously and it is for this reason that we have taken the difficult decision to postpone our Spring Concert indefinitely in light of the ongoing coronavirus epidemic.

“The event, scheduled for Wednesday, March 25, at St Peter’s Church, Budleigh Salterton, will now not go ahead as planned and given the uncertain climate in the UK at the moment no alternative date has been decided upon.

“We are aware that such a decision is beyond the measures currently suggested by official advice, but as an organisation we know that many of our followers and indeed members are in the older age bracket and are therefore considered to be at greater risk from the current virus.

“We want you all to be sure that we are taking all appropriate steps to sensibly mitigate the spread of infection and it is for this reason we have taken the steps that we have.”

Programme sales and a bucket collection at the concert would have benefitted Budleigh Hub – the band’s charity of the year for 2020.

Anyone who has already bought tickets for the concert can arrange a refund by emailing exmouthtownconcertband@gmail.com.

Exmouth in Bloom flags up how great the town is for national judges’ summer visit

About Author