Smoking fuse box sparks callout for Exeter and Ottery firefighters

A smoking fuse box in an Exeter flat sparked a callout for firefighters from the city and Ottery St Mary.

Crews from Middlemoor, Danes Castle and the East Devon town attended the incident in Whipton Barton Road at around 6.40pm yesterday (Saturday, February 29).

They ventilated the property and handed the matter over to Western Power.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “Fire Control received calls reporting smoke coming from an electric box within the hallway of a property at the above location earlier this evening.

“Fire engines from Middlemoor, Danes Castle and Ottery St Mary were quickly mobilised.

“Upon arrival, crews confirmed a smell of burning coming from fuse box in a first-floor flat.

“Fire crews isolated power supply and ventilated the flat using a positive pressure ventilator and requested the attendance of Western Power who the incident was handed over to.

“The cause of this incident is believed to be accidental.”

Police seek to identify moped youth seen speeding through parks in Exeter

About Author