‘Faulty gas heater’ blamed for fire in lounge of Rockbeare home

A faulty gas heater is believed to have caused a blaze in the lounge of a home in Rockbeare this morning (Sunday, February 23).

Firefighters from Ottery St Mary and Danes Castle and Middlemoor in Exeter were called to the property at Grange Cottages at 4.25am after a resident dialled 999.

The crews donned breathing apparatus and tackled the flames.

The cause of fire is believed to have been a faulty leaking portable gas heater that was situated in the lounge…

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “Fire crews from Danes Castle, Middlemoor and Ottery St Mary were mobilised…after fire control had received reports from the resident of a fire in her downstairs lounge.

“Upon arrival this was found to be a fire in downstairs lounge area involving an area of carpet.

“Crews extinguished using two breathing apparatus, one hose reel jet and one CO2 extinguisher.

“[The] cause of fire is believed to have been a faulty leaking portable gas heater that was situated in the lounge.”

Devon councillors back bid to cut cost of school uniforms

About Author