Fire scare as Pot Noodle bursts into flames at sheltered flats in Exeter – after peckish resident mistakenly put snack in microwave

Firefighters were called to a block of sheltered accommodation flats in Exeter after a Pot Noodle burst into flames.

The king-size chicken and mushroom snack overheated after a peckish resident mistakenly put it in the microwave.

Crews from Danes Castle were alerted after the dehydrated delicacy – which only requires a dash of boiling water – triggered an alarm.

They have issued safety advice and urged householders always check the cooking instructions on any instant or ready meals.

A Danes Castle Fire Station spokesperson said: “Green Watch have just attended an Automatic Fire Alarm (AFA) at a block of sheltered accommodation flats.

“The cause of the activation turned out to be a Pot Noodle which had been heated in a microwave. The plastic pot and contents didn’t survive to tell the tale!”

The Exeter-based team has highlighted the incident to issue a safety message to householders.

Picture: Danes Castle Fire Station

The plastic pot and its contents didn’t survive to tell the tale. Picture: Danes Castle Fire Station

They have issued the following advice:

  • Always follow the instructions on any ready meals carefully and ensure you are heating or cooking them correctly;
  • Never leave your microwave unattended when in use;
  • Never put any metal or metal foil in a microwave;
  • If you have older relatives/neighbours or care for somebody with additional needs, make sure they are using their cooking appliances safely;
  • Make sure you have a working smoke detector on every floor of your home.

The Pot Noodle incident in Exeter happened on Tuesday night (February 11).

To request a free home safety visit, call the fire service on 0800 0502999.

The Pot Noodle plastic pot and its contents didn’t survive to tell the tale. Picture: Danes Castle Fire Station

The plastic pot and its contents didn’t survive to tell the tale. Picture: Danes Castle Fire Station

‘Eastern European’ gang seen targeting elderly supermarket shoppers in distraction thefts across East Devon and Exeter

About Author