Roof damaged by flames and smoke as firefighters tackle Sidmouth bungalow blaze

Firefighters battled a blaze in the roof of a Sidmouth bungalow this afternoon (Tuesday, February 4).

Both the town’s engines and crews from Ottery St Mary and Budleigh Salterton were called to Beatlands Road at around 12.30pm.

They arrived to find the home’s loft space ‘well alight’ and smoke billowing from the dwelling.

An aerial ladder platform from Danes Castle in Exeter also attended the scene.

Sidmouth

Photo with permission
©Jutta Gorf.

Picture: Sidmouth Fire Station

Picture: Sidmouth Fire Station

Picture: Sidmouth Fire Station

Picture: Sidmouth Fire Station

Firefighters donned breathing apparatus to tackle the flames before they could spread to the rest of the property. Other crew members worked to remove sections of the roof.

The cause of the blaze was accidental.

The fire was extinguished before spreading to the rest of the property…

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “Thirty per cent of the roof was damaged by fire and another 30 per cent was damaged by smoke.

“To deal with the incident, crews used six breathing apparatus, two hose reels, two roof ladders, two short extension ladders, small tools and a thermal image camera.”

Picture: Sidmouth Fire Station

Picture: Sidmouth Fire Station

Picture: Sidmouth Fire Station

Picture: Sidmouth Fire Station

Picture: Sidmouth Fire Station

Picture: Sidmouth Fire Station

A Sidmouth Fire Station spokesperson added: “The fire was extinguished before spreading to the rest of the property. The cause of the fire was accidental.”

Both Sidmouth pumps and the Danes Castle aerial platform ladder were called out again shortly after to a chimney fire at a thatched property in Fluxton.

“The thatch was coated in a blanket of compressed air foam while the fire was tackled from inside the chimney,” said the Sidmouth Fire Station spokesperson.

The second callout of the day for Sidmouth fire-fighters was to to a chimney blaze in Fluxton. Picture: Sidmouth Fire Station

The second callout of the day for Sidmouth fire-fighters was to to a chimney blaze in Fluxton. Picture: Sidmouth Fire Station

Rockfish gets go-ahead for Sidmouth seafront restuarant

About Author