Chimney blaze that spread to roof is tackled by East Devon fire crews

Fire crews were on Thursday morning called to a chimney blaze which spread to a roof of a property near Honiton.

Firefighters from Honiton, Colyton, Axminster and Charmouth tackled the blaze at Widworthy on January 23, shortly after 8.30am.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said the cause of the blaze was a chimney fire, which spread.

A fire service spokesperson said: “Fire appliances from Honiton, Colyton, Axminster and the off-road vehicle from Charmouth attended a fire within a chimney that had spread to the roof space.

“Crews arrived on scene and got to work with four breathing apparatus, triple extension ladder, roof ladder, thermal imaging camera, one hose reel jet, covering jet and safety jet.”

The spokesperson added: “Crews confirmed the fire out and that the attic space had sustained damage.

“The cause of the fire was a chimney fire which spread. Duty of care was left with the owner.”

 

VIDEO & PHOTOS: Firefighters from two counties tackle East Devon property blaze at Rousdon

About Author