Microwave blaze in Axminster sheltered accommodation sparks callout for town’s firefighters

Firefighters were called to sheltered accommodation in Axminster – when the contents of a microwave overheated.

A crew from the town attended a flat at Minster Court, in West Street, at around 6.30pm yesterday (Monday, January 20).

They were called by Careline, which monitors the alarms for the premises.

The overcooked contents of the microwave were plunged into a bucket of water and nobody was injured.

Residents were offered safety advice.

Not only were the contents of the microwave 100 per cent damaged by fire, but the appliance sustained 50 per cent fire damage, too

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “Shortly after arriving and investigating the cause of the alarm, our crew located the source of the smoke to a small fire within a microwave.

“Not only were the contents of the microwave 100 per cent damaged by fire, but the appliance sustained 50 per cent fire damage, too.

“The fire was extinguished after the contents were submerged in a bucket of water and removed outside before making the appliance and scene safe.

“There were no casualties or further fire spread, but firefighters reassured the residents and offered some fire safety advice before leaving.”

East Devon MP meets with fire service chiefs over Budleigh Salterton and Topsham station closures

About Author