Exeter firefighters find smoke-logged flat and burnt food left cooking on hob

Firefighters called to sheltered accommodation in Exeter on Monday evening found a smoke-logged flat with food left cooking on a hob.

A fire crew from Middlemoor was called to North Street, Heavitree, at 7pm on January 20, to investigate an alarm sounding in a flat after receiving a call from monitor service Careline.

No one was injured and the fire did not spread, said the fire service.

The crew removed burnt food from the hob, ventilated the property and gave safety advice.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “Our crew were on scene within minutes and soon located the source and cause of the alarm to be coming from a heavily smoke-logged flat.

“Food had been left unattended on an electric hob and whilst no firefighting action was required, they removed the burnt food, made the area safe and ventilated the property, before offering some fire safety advice and leaving duty of care with the on-site warden.

“There were no casualties or fire spread.”

 

Exeter named Devon’s capital for parking tickets – with city’s fine hotspots revealed

About Author