Crews from Devon, Somerset and Dorset tackle chimney fire near Axminster

Fire crews from Devon, Somerset and Dorset responded to reports of a chimney on fire at All Saints near Axminster yesterday evening.

An occupant of the detached residential property called the emergency services shortly before 6pm.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said it initially sent a crew from Axminster, followed by two appliances from Chard.

A spokesperson said the additional resourced were mobilised following a second call from the occupant.

“It was thought the roof could be involved,” the service said. “When the first fire engine arrived, they requested an aerial ladder platform to attend from Taunton and a further appliance from Charmouth.

“The aerial was stood down before it arrived at the incident.”

The fire was found to be contained to the chimney but there was five per cent smoke damage throughout the property.

Firefighters wearing breathing breathing apparatus tackled the blaze. One hose reel jet, one safety jet, one thermal imaging camera, chimney gear and a gas monitor were also used.

PHOTOS: Honiton Carnival 2019

 

About Author