Uplyme house fire confined to shower unit

A smell of burning coming from the loft area of a property saw fire appliances from two stations attend an address in Uplyme last night (October 8).

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said crews from Lyme Regis and Charmouth, of Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service, responded and went to a two-storey house in Rhode Lane.

Reported shortly after 6pm, an initial crew identified the source of the smoke as coming from an electrical shower unit on the first floor.

A spokesperson for the fire service said in an incident report: “Crews set to work isolating the electrics, which extinguished the fire, before checking the shower unit and surrounding area over with a thermal imaging and small tools.

“They also checked and confirmed no fire spread to the loft space, before making the area safe and handing duty of care over to the occupants.”

The cause of the fire was accidental. Damage was confined to the shower unit only and there were no casualties.

IMAGES: Work begins on Seaton’s new £200,000 skate park


About Author