Cathedral Close restaurant suffers extensive smoke damage in fire

Reports that smoke could be seen coming from a pizza restaurant in Cathedral Close, Exeter, prompted a swift response from firefighters this morning.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said it was called at 8.40am, sending two appliances and an aerial ladder platform from Danes Castle.

It also sent a fire engine from Middlemoor to the location, along with a supporting officer.

A spokesperson said: “On arrival, crews confirmed there was smoke issuing from the kitchen area and got to work investigating further wearing breathing apparatus.”

Firefighters reported locating the blaze in a ground floor kitchen. It involved mobile food units and wooden chopping boards.

The fire was tackled with four breathing apparatus, one hose reel jet, one safety jet, two thermal imaging cameras and a positive pressure fan.

The fire service said the mobile unit sustained 50 per cent fire damage while the kitchen suffered 100 smoke damage.

Further smoke damage was reported in the restaurant. .

The cause of the fire has been determined as accidental.

Exeter named as one of UK’s top city centres in national report

About Author