Firefighters have battled through the night to bring a fire at a restaurant in Topsham under control.
The blaze required significant resources, prompting the fire service to move appliances from Ottery St Mary and Cullompton to provide cover in Exeter.
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service says the three-storey building in Fore Street suffered 90 per cent fire and smoke damage.
Initial calls to the emergency services were logged at 1.58am and two appliances from Topsham were sent to the scene.
A spokesperson for the fire and rescue service said a further seven 999 calls were received and that it ‘supplemented the attendance with the Middlemoor appliance due to the developing situation’.
By 2:11am, it was confirmed the fire was on the first floor. Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus, one hose reel and a covering jet were used to tackle the blaze.
The fire was confirmed to involve a flat roof area at 2.29am and, at that time, resources were increased and a fourth appliance was requested for positive pressure ventilation fan.
Two further appliances were requested at 3am to assist with breathing apparatus wearers. Fire crews from Exmouth and Danes Castle, Exeter, answered the call.
As a result of the resources needed in Topsham, fire control moved the Cullompton appliance to Danes Castle and the Ottery St Mary appliance to Middlemoor to provide fire cover in the Exeter area.
At its peak, six firefighters were wearing breathing apparatus.
A fire investigation officer was on the scene in Topsham at 4.45am and the incident was scaled back at 6.26am.
The cause of the fire has been logged as accidental.